Friday 7 January 2011

The End? Hopefully not.

Warning: This is probably going to be a horrifically schmaltzy, soppy and self-indulgent entry. You have been warned.

First up, I have to mention one of the running jokes of my blog: 東方神起 (Touhoushinki) split up!!!!!! Kuroki Meisa is still ok though it's not as bad as it could be...

Secondly, IRIS ended a while back but there's a sequel (ATHENA)! All rejoice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGcsdFp30yc&feature=fvsr

(They even filmed a bit of it in Japan, in Tottori, not that far from where Yoo lives...)

Basically, I figure this is going to be the last entry here for a while at least, I'd do a proper "Farewell"/conclusion entry.

I decided to take JLPT 1 last December. I won't get the results for another month or two, but I think I actually did okay overall, though there were some tricky bits... If I pass then I'm legally fluent in Japanese (I personally wouldn't say that but hey, if the Japanese government wants to I'm not gonna stop 'em). To be honest, when I first went to Japan I never really thought I would get to the level where I would take the exam. I think a fair amount of credit is down to my 2nd semester Kanji teacher, Nakanishi-sensei, who always encouraged us to make JLPT 1 our goal. Anyway, even if I pass I still need to study some more...

I might have actually forgotten to mention this ANYWHERE on the blog, but just for the record if you go out into the countryside, Japan actually has a lot amazing number of actually stunningly beautiful natural scenic spots. That's something I never knew before I went...

So, it really was the most amazing year ever, and I really did fall in love with Japan. So amazing, I decided it wasn't enough so I've applied to got back as a CIR for the JET programme! I'd really really love to get this, and if I do I'd be working in a city hall somewhere as a "Coordinator for International Relations" from August this year! Basically I'd be doing translations, cultural promotion and helping out foreign residents living there. It maybe sounds kinda sappy to say this, but I really think that since I had such a great time out there it would be great to have the chance to help others have a similarly amazing time. I've asked to go back to Osaka, though I'm fairly certain that won't be possible.

On a related note, if anyone reading this is even just vaguely considering studying or working abroad I would absolutely 100% recommend it. Doesn't matter where you go (thought obviously Japan would be good!), I think you'll have an incredible experience.

I think the most important thing I can say about my year abroad is that I have no regrets about anything I did (except maybe eating those noodles at Stevie's leaving party...), only perhaps a small number of things I did not do. But even saying that, even given the chance I wouldn't change a thing.

I touched on this last entry, but I really think I did a lot of growing up out there, and I really have had a lot to think about these last few months since I got back in terms of where I go from here, what I want from life and where I want to be and particularly what that would mean. To be honest, I don't really feel comfortable sharing some of the conclusions I've come to. On the other hand, I think that the fact I've been able to think about this stuff at all has shown me how much I've developed as a person thanks to my experiences on my year abroad. I guess the truth is that whenever you learn something new about yourself there are good sides and bad sides to that knowledge, and most importantly there are consequences to every choice.

So I guess this is the end. For now at least. If all my dreams come true and I'm really lucky to get the JET CIR position (I might be a little biased but I do believe I would be an excellent candidate), I figure this might get a sequel... So maybe not so much goodbye, but hopefully "see you again sometime soon.

Thank you everyone for reading this!

P.S. If you have been reading these posts please tell me sometime, either a comment here or facebook or just tell me in person, I'm always so happy to find out it's not just my Mum! ( Note to Mum: Although you're always a very appreciated!)

3 comments:

  1. hey,I think the most interesting part you in Japan is playing lost plant2 with me,you got who am I?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi thomas , well just to show your mum is still reading your blog. finally read the last one . maybe blog will continue with a few years of "CIR/but OF COURSE my mum can come and visit when she wants years"

    the mum signing off on this year's blog too

    ReplyDelete