Saturday 1 January 2011

Back in the UK - 3 Months On

So I promised I would definitely not do what I have in fact ended up doing, which was leaving this blog unfinished... sorry guys! I'm going to try to put this right now. So here I am, been back in the UK for 3 months now and finished my 1st semester of my (hopefully!) final year of uni. Since it's the beginning of a new year I just thought now would be an appropriate look over the most amazing year ever (last one) and get this finished off.

First up, arriving back in the UK wasn't such a bad thing really. It felt really nice to be back in some ways (seeing people again, eating cheese), all thought at the same time for a long time I had this really weird feeling like I was just "on holiday" in the UK and would be going back to Japan soon. Obviously this wasn't the case :-(

So, I thought it might be interesting to list a couple of the weird things that happened to me, silly mistakes I've caught myself doing and strange observations I've made as I've tried to readjust to the weird and wonderful place that is the UK

1) The UK is CHEAP!!!!!! I arrived back at Heathrow Airport and went to Caffe Nero for a coffee and a pastry. It cost me about £3.50. I actually said to the barista: "Is that all?"

2)I forgot how UK currency works... I literally was reduced to holding out a handful of coins and letting the shop assistant find them for me on a few occasions. Another time the sales assistant said £2.20 or something and I gave them £40 and asked "Is that enough?". This was obviously rather embarrassing...

3) The UK is kinda dirty... especially the bathrooms :-(

4) I have an embarrassing habit of bowing to people, especially lecturers when I say thank-you/ goodbye.

5) It took me a while to get used to being surrounded by people who all speak English... This let to a few cringe-moments where I would be telling a dodgy story a little too loudly like I'd been able to in Japan and all of a sudden everyone sitting round about would go very quiet... :-X

6) It took me about a month to get used to eating European food again... I spent about 5 weeks eating seeds, nuts, raisins and dried apricots and such like because I literally could not find anything I wanted to eat in shops... Japan definitely changed my tastes in food (well, not just food but those are other stories). I really miss rice... and noodles (ラーメン食いたい). Have developed a somewhat odd attachment to yoghurt and granola... I don't particularly care for pasta anymore. British Chocolate is far too sweet.

7) British TV has it's weird bits as well. I actually miss those Japanese food/chat-shows...

8) I get irrationally frustrated that my parents don't understand Japanese.

9) I've lost count of the number of people I knew before I went to Japan who don't recognise me anymore. Occasionally this comes in handy.

10) I miss rice and noodles everyday whenever I wanted them.

11) I miss Korean food. Luckily this is not impossible to come by here. The Korean Takeaway in Edinburgh needs to work on their チヂミ (I'm not sure if that just means make it more Japanese...) but otherwise is pretty good. The staff find it funny that I seem to be the only white person in Edinburgh that knows how to pronounce "jaepujaegh" or "doghbokgeh" semi-properly. I havn't had the heart to tell them I'm basically just ordering in Japanese (It seems to work just fine!!!)...

12) In contrast the Korean supermarket in Birmingham refuses to accept that yes, I really do want to buy that Kimuchi, and yes, I do like it.

13) Since I'm now doing my 3rd year classes, I'm in with what was the year-group below me in 2nd year. They're actually a really nice bunch! Anyway, since they didn't actually know who I was when I randomly appeared in their lectures in October, it turned out they just assumed I was an ERASMUS student, and started asking me where I was from in kinda slow, simple English which I thought was pretty funny. This got better when I found out about a month later that having introduced myself as "From Edinburgh and did a year-abroad in Japan", this had mutated into half the year group thinking "From Aberdeen and half-Japanese"... I was understandably more upset about the Aberdeen part... ;-P Do I really look Asian?????

Actually, I was pretty impressed they noticed it was Japanese I was speaking on phones etc, not just assuming Chinese...

14) I have caught myself using American English on occasion. I say "What's your major?" and "Cellphone". I blame Shin, Tony, Marina, David, Carlos, Andrew, Alek and Basim for this. Australian English has been mostly kept to a minimum. Thankfully.

That's most of the funny stuff that I can remember... To be honest, It's been easier to fit back in to life here than I expected. Not to say it's been easy... I really miss so many things and so many people, but I think the fact I've been so busy with 3rd year studies has actually helped... I've actually enjoyed this semester the most out of all my time in Birmingham. Oddly enough I think my Japanese has improved since I got back rather than forgetting it all...

4 comments:

  1. haha wow i didn't think that photo was you! it looks like somebody else! I do prefer your longer hair! This was nice to read through !!
    I hope we all get together have another round the circle clapping drinking game thing!

    ciao for now !

    seb

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really like your rice and noodles! Sounds like you has an amazing trip.

    Harriet (Temple)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol... I didn't actually notice I wrote "I miss rice and noodles" twice :-/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know why you've liked it so much this semester- cos you've lived so near me isn't it?! :p xxx

    ReplyDelete